Ready for your first family trip with your little one? A few simple strategies can make all the difference. Check out these tips for safe, comfortable travel with your baby.
To get the most from family travel, let your baby set the agenda and the pace. Here are some tips to get you started:
Feeding your baby
- If you’re nursing, your baby’s all set.
- Bring extra water for yourself, since traveling and nursing can leave you parched.
- If you’re formula feeding, use bottled water to mix formula.
Keeping clean and healthy
- Baby wipes are essential on trips. They’re great not only for diaper changes but also to clean everyone’s hands, which reduces the risk of passing along infections.
- Before and after diaper changes in a public place, be sure to wipe off the changing area.
- Enjoy all the gushes and admiration your baby inspires, but do your best to keep her away from people with colds or other infections, as well as from those who are smoking.
Resting and sleeping
- Make your baby sleep in her portable bed for a few nights (or a few naps) before you leave so she can get used to it before you go on the road.
- Plan lots of down time and rest periods for you and your baby.
- Babies shouldn’t go out on the water.
- If you’re planning on boating with an older child, bring a life vest that you know fits. Don’t count on finding the right size when you get to your destination.