Being a single parent can be really hard and sometimes it might seem that you have 2 jobs at the same time- you are both a mum and ‘dad’. It can be lonely and hard work but it’s ultimately very rewarding. We know how difficult being a single parent can be and to try make things a little bit easier, we have compiled some great tip’s to help you become a successful single parent as well as having your own life. Here are our favourite single parenting tips:
- Create a support system – you are going to need quite a bit of help being a single parent, write down a list of dependable friends and family members who you can rely on in a time of need. If you have friends who are single mums, you can create a support group which could only benefit you in the long run. When you have identified your support group, don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it.
- Create time for yourself – being a single parent means you may often feel like you are being pulled in 10 different directions, simultaneously. With all these demands on your life, make sure to schedule some alone time, where you can just ‘be’ and relax
- Stick to a routine – part of creating stability and security in the home involves establishing predictable schedules and routines for your children
- Save time – do little things to save time around the house, make meals in large quantity so the leftovers can double as school lunch the next day, do your shopping once a week so you can spend more time at home with your child.
- Set boundaries – children need to understand when their behaviour is crossing a line. The house rules will help them remember what behaviour has been agreed as unacceptable
Although being a single parent is a difficult job, you can make sure that you are the best parent you can possibly be. You can help your children feel secure by setting priorities, spending time with them and above all showering your child with love. Being a single mum is not the end of the world. Don’t worry. You will be fine. You can train your children to be the best, all by yourself!