When you are trying to conceive, you need to treat your testes very gently and carefully.
To optimize fertility, you should start preparing your body at least 3 months before trying to conceive. Try these 12 tips to put the odds in your favour:
- Lose Weight: An ideal BMI (Body mass Index) increases testosterone and improves sperm counts and libido.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking lowers fertility.
- Take a break from biking: If you have a Power Bike or like taking bikes (to beat traffic), try suspending your bike trips for the meantime. Biking over 12hrs per week puts added stress on testes.
- Skip the Hot Tub: Limit the amount to time your testes rests in hot/warm water. Sperm needs to stay cool to perform their best.
- Keep the laptop off the lap: Most working class men (and women) are fund of this. We get home and realise we still have some tasks to deliver at work, put our laptops on our laps and start working. Heat raises sperm temperature and can lower sperm count. Stop it!
- Wear boxers: Instead of briefs and tight pants/ jeans, try giving your testes a breathing space.
- Try couples’ acupuncture: It may improve sperm quality and count.
- Skip Lubricant during sex: Gel makes it harder for sperm to swim. Some sexual lubricants actually make it harder for sperm to reach their goal of fertilizing an egg.
- Watch a sexy movie (with your partner): It boosts testosterone and improves the quality and number of sperms. Do this with your partner (advisably in your room, if you have kids/guests), so you don’t lose the urge.
- Have sex once a day: Especially during ovulation, abstinence over one day decreases sperm mobility.
- Make love in Missionary Position: If you enjoy other sex positions, try to stick with the missionary position for the purpose of conception. Prop your hips up and you’ll put gravity on your side.
- Lastly, remember that getting pregnant takes time. So, stay positive and enjoy the experience.